The 1986 Social Security Act’s changes to means-tested benefits came into force in April 1990. Their aims were to meet a genuine need, to control spending, to provide a simpler harmonized structure, to improve administration, to target benefits more towards families with children and to improve incentives to work and save. The Act also changed provisions of the State Earnings Related Pension Scheme and of Widows Benefits but this research deals only with changes to means-tested benefits. The main changes were:
- Income Support (IS) replaced Supplementary Benefits (SB).
- The Social Fund replaced single payments of supplementary benefit for one-off needs.
- Family Credit replaced Family Income Supplement for low waged working families with children and was more generous.
- Housing Benefits were simplified and harmonized with Income Support. Rebates from rates and community charge were limited to a maximum of 80%. The remainder to be paid from weekly benefit or other income. The maximum rebate has been restored to 100% for council tax since April 1993.
- Some claimants such as students and 16-18-year-olds lost entitlement to benefit altogether.
Spending on means-tested benefits fell by 6% but remained at 29% of all social security in 1990-97. The main changes in cost were:
Thank you for visiting Essaydemon.com and viewing our articles and sample papers. Kindly be informed that all these articles and sample papers are for marketing purposes only. The sole purpose of these articles and sample papers is just to provide our customers with an idea about our services before they place an order.
Kindly visit our order/inquiry page for further assistance.
Kindly order custom made Essays, Term Papers, Research Papers, Thesis, Dissertation, Assignment, Book Reports, Reviews, Presentations, Projects, Case Studies, Coursework, Homework, Creative Writing, Critical Thinking, on the topic by clicking on the order page.
Countless students worldwide are satisfied with our professional services.
- 100% original, custom Writing or 100% Money Back guarantee!
- 100% Confidentiality: Your information is secure at all time.
- We guarantee that you will never regret for choosing us.
- 100% guaranteed plagiarism free writing.
- Urgent delivery: Meet your deadline and deliver your custom essay.
- No hidden charges: the price you see is the final cost for all custom papers.
- Excellent 24 hours 7 Days a week free friendly customer support system
FREE Outline, FREE Title page, FREE Bibliography, FREE E-mail delivery, FREE Formatting