Is there really something called “a midlife crisis” a crisis that many 40-somethings are designed to experience? Or is it all just hype and merely a myth? In using the film American Beauty (1999) I will attempt to assess Lester Burnham’s midlife crisis, the principal character played by Kevin Spacey, to some of Daniel J. Levinson’s theories of adult development. Does Lester’s so-called midlife crisis follow Levinson’s transitions and sequences of midlife? Or is Lester Burnham’s experience merely an adjustment distress, as described in the DSM-IV-TR of the American Psychiatric Association (2000 p. 28):
The adjustment disorder, unspecified type (DSM-IV-TR 2000):
- The development of emotional or behavioral symptoms in response to identifiable stressors occurring within three months of the onset of the stressor.
- These symptoms or behaviors are clinically significant as enhanced by either of the following:
- Managed distress that is in excess of what would be expected from exposure to the stressor.
- Significant impairment in social or occupational (academic) functioning.
- The stress-related disturbance does not meet the criteria for another specific Axis I Disorder and is not merely an exacerbation of a preexisting Axis I or Axis II disorder.
Thank you for visiting Essaydemon.com and viewing our articles and sample papers. Kindly be informed that all these articles and sample papers are for marketing purposes only. The sole purpose of these articles and sample papers is just to provide our customers with an idea about our services before they place an order.
Kindly visit our order/inquiry page for further assistance.
Kindly order custom made Essays, Term Papers, Research Papers, Thesis, Dissertation, Assignment, Book Reports, Reviews, Presentations, Projects, Case Studies, Coursework, Homework, Creative Writing, Critical Thinking, on the topic by clicking on the order page.